Sam grew up as a country farm boy in a family of 11 children. He then went on to college in Hobart Tasmania, but found that he was more suited to get straight into work. After working in sales for a few years he found his passion, helping people. He then went and worked as a trainer in Northern Tasmania and soon became training manager, he also did many music theatre productions, & opened his own music studio. Sam also does community work as a Regional Industry Careers Adviser working businesses & with young people assisting them control their future.
Sam’s personal life journey changed dramatically 2 years ago when he was involved in a major car accident. Sam had his right arm amputated and lives with a permanent disability in his right leg. Sam was hospitalised for over four months and confined to a wheelchair for nine months. It is the story of Sam’s remarkable resilience, his mental strength as well as his physical recovery that has amazed and inspired so many Australians, here & people around the world.
Some achievements he has had in the last few years include;
- Travelled around Australia & overseas to perform at world expo in front of crowds of up to 15,000 people
- Dance and music teacher to over 100 students
- Has spoken to over 50,000 people in every state in Australia including audiences overseas
- Nominated for many awards including; Young Australian of the Year, Exceptional Service Awards, Community Service Awards, Tasmanian of the Year, 30 under 30 Entrepreneurs, Pride of Australia Medal; and finalist for many of these
- A life coach & mentor
- Husband and father of 3 amazing children
Sam's message to others is simple. He challenges people to be themselves, believe in themselves, find purpose and focus, nurture their creativity, develop resilient and protective behaviours, conquer obstacles such as fear, set and attain personal goals. In every way imaginable Sam is a living embodiment of the messages he delivers.
Sam Cawthorn with family
Extraordinary. if you've met Sam, it's a unique experience
- Kevin Rudd PM
Prime Minister of Australia
Your speech was thoroughly inspiring and crafted with just the right amount of humour, drama and showmanship
- Lindsay Adams
President of International Federation
for Professional Speakers
Your presentation was powerful and based on real life experiences. I would certainly recommend you as a motivational speaker for any high school body.
- Dick Adams, Federal Member For Lyons